Raised Floors - Information
A raised floor, also called floating floor, is a flooring system designed to meet the different needs of working areas with high concentration of plant engineering systems.
This floating system entails the use of a walking surface which, raised above the concrete tile, creates a technical hollow area. This area, suitably sized, permits cabling and connections of all kinds to be passed through it (power, telephone and IT wiring, supply piping, fluid discharge, etc).
A floating floor is particularly functional to speed up maintenance activities and later alterations to the cabling and connections thanks to the dry removability of the system, with no need under the floor while making them effective. There is no need for building works leading to a considerable reduction in both the time needed and the cost of activities.
The need for new cabling is increasingly more frequent due to the technological development of work instruments and data transmission networks, especially in buildings to be used as offices. The flexibility of a floating floor makes this installation work extremely easy.
In comparison with traditional flooring, the main advantages of raised floors are:
- freedom of redesigning rooms in time, according to new space organisation requirements; insertion of new work stations or alterations to existing ones;
- possibility for any maintenance and modifications of systems to work on the single panels separately without having to modify the adjacent ones;
- dry installation and removal of the various components, without using adhesives;
- elimination of "pop out" problems due to incompatibility between the concrete slab and traditional flooring;
- possibility of using again the components also in environments other than the ones they were originally used in;
- thermal separation between the concrete slab and the walking surface with consequent improvement of living quality;
- maximum creative freedom for the designer, who is no longer limited regarding location of the various systems during the designing stage;
- in economic terms, the possibility of considering raised floors as movable walls permits greater tax abatements.
Welcome to Granitech
Granitech deals with design and installation of ventilated walls and raised floors. Using state-of-the art technologies Granitech develops top quality solutions for important projects in contemporary architecture.
Ventilated walls are multi-layer construction solutions for "dry" cladding of outside walls, improving their aesthetic qualities, degree of protection and insulation.
A raised floor is a flooring systems designed to meet the different needs of working areas with high concentration of plant engineering systems.
Definitions of terms and phrases commonly used in ventilated and raised applications.